Travel requirements for pets

travel requirements for pets

When you want to travel from one country to another with an animal, it must be accompanied by different documents that vary depending on the type of animal and the country of destination, so it is always advisable to check with the Consulate of each country since The requirements demanded may vary according to different epidemiological situations or approval of new specific regulations in each country.

A. If you intend to travel with a dog, cat or ferret from Spain to a country of the European Union, it is necessary that the animal travel accompanied by its corresponding Veterinary Passport.

If the country of destination is the United Kingdom, the specific requirements necessary for the entry of pets into that country can be consulted at

B. If you intend to travel with an animal from Spain to a country outside the EU or you wish to enter Spain from a country outside the EU, you must consult the requirements at the Ministry of the Environment, Rural and Marine Affairs (MARM), which has a Service on its Website that allows you to select from a menu the type of animal you want to travel with (from Spain or to Spain) and the country of destination or origin. Once these data have been entered, clicking on the «Search» option gives access to a pdf document («MARM Information»), where all the requirements appear.

On December 29, 2014, new rules on travel and pet passports came into force for EU citizens travelling within or outside the EU, the main points of interest of which are highlighted in a document «Questions and frequent answers» (VER), prepared by the European Veterinary Federation (FVE).

When travelling outside the EU, the veterinary passport that is only valid for intra-community trips is not valid. For transfers outside the EU, you must obtain an «Official Export Certificate» for the animal, for which you must go with a «Veterinary Health Certificate» issued by a registered veterinarian (it is no longer necessary to carry out the signature legitimation process in the College of Veterinarians) to one of the offices that issue Official Export Certificates in the Community of Madrid:

Agriculture Functional Area
C/ García de Paredes, 65 – 3º Pta. 28010-MADRID
Phone: 91 272 92 69 / 9137

Air Cargo Center-Madrid Barajas Airport
General Services Building. Office 243.
Avda. Hispanidad, s/n 28042 MADRID

Information for travelling with pets other than dogs, cats and ferrets, between EU countries:
Animal Health and Hygiene and Traceability Sub-Directorate Traceability and Intra-Community Movements Area
C/ Almagro, 33

Source: Official College of Veterinarians of Madrid