British dogs traveling to the EU after Brexit.

It is clear that Brexit is affecting many aspects of our daily lives, such as free movement, but it also has an impact when it comes to traveling with our pets, especially when on vacation from Great Britain to the EU.

Since January 1, 2021, Great Britain (GB) has become a third country with respect to the EU Pet Travel Program. Therefore, EU pet passports issued by Official Veterinarians (VO) in GB will no longer be valid for travel to Europe.

You can bring your dog from England, Scotland and Wales to the EU, but you will need to follow a different procedure.

From now on, you must obtain an animal health certificate (AHC).

The AHC confirms that your pet is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies.

The rules also apply to guide dogs.

You must obtain a new certificate each time you travel with your pet and you must request it within 10 days of the travel date.

The document is valid for four months, for a single trip to the EU, trips within the EU and for re-entry to Great Britain.

An AHC is valid for:
* 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
* A single trip to enter the EU
* Continue travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
* Re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue.

The certificate is issued by your veterinarian and this process will begin on December 22.

Upon arrival in the EU, you will need to enter through a designated entry point for travelers.

Pet owners traveling with more than 5 pets and not attending or training for a competition, show or sporting event must follow the commercial rules for importing animals.

North Ireland?

If you want to take your dog from England, Scotland or Wales to Northern Ireland, you will have to obtain an AHC, as if you were on a holiday to the EU, the same rules apply.